Should you get engagement photos??? It is a question I am asked alllllll the time! If it were up to me, I would say, absolutely!
This is for SO many reasons:
1. If you are not used to being photographed, it is an opportunity for you to get compfortable in front of the camera! It is kind of like a practice session before the wedding. You don’t want the first time you are ever photographed to be on your wedding day. Find out what works, and what doesn’t before. You will build confidence in front of the camera, as well as confidence in your photographer!
2. It is a chance to get to know your photographer, and for your photographer to get to know you. I love engagement sessions mainly for this reason! It is a chance for us to get comfortable working with one another, and have a lot of fun along the way. I learn so much about my clients during their engagement session. I watch carefully how they interact and what makes them laugh, and I remember those things on their wedding day.
3. I usually work closely with my couples to choose a location that is meaningful to them in some way. This could be where they first met, where they went on their first date, their favourite date spot, where he proposed, doing an activity they enjoy, etc…It can also be created around something that the couple enjoys doing! I find that the photos are far more special when there is a significant location involved. For example:
Hyejoo & Dale met in softball, so they wanted to incorporate some softball into their shoot! We spent some time at the baseball diamond, and then they got all dressy to go walk the city they love! It was a really memorable engagement shoot, and Style me Pretty thought so too, since it got published here!
Mel & Rein love going up north to The J.W. Marriot up in Muskoka for little getaways, so it was extra fitting to do their photos there!
4. It is a good opportunity for the bride to have a hair and make up trial prior to the engagement session! Then she always feels extra fab (yes I just said that) for the photos!
5. They are great to use for Save the Dates, or for guest books at your wedding! I have even seen people get a photo blown up with a large matte border for people to sign and leave warm wishes for the couple!
So, bottom line… I HIGHLY recommend getting engagement photos done. There are so many good things that come out of getting them! You get to have fun with each other, get to know your photographer, get some awesome photos, and get even more excited about your wedding! Win win? I think so